Drone Attack in Syria
Certainly! Here’s what we know about the recent drone attacks in Syria:
- Homs Military College Graduation Attack:
- On October 5, 2023, explosive-laden drones targeted a military college graduation ceremony in Homs, Syria. The attack resulted in dozens of casualties.
- According to Syria’s defence ministry, there were wounded soldiers, including critical injuries among the invited families (including women and children) and college students who were participating in the graduation ceremony. The drones struck immediately after the ceremony ended.
- The defence ministry attributed the attack to “terrorist organizations supported by well-known international parties,” although no specific group has claimed responsibility yet.
- The Syrian armed forces called the attack “unprecedented” and vowed to respond with full force and determination, warning that those responsible would pay dearly.
- US Response to Drone Attack:
- In response to a drone attack that killed a US contractor, the US carried out air strikes against Iran-linked groups in eastern Syria on March 24, 2023.
- Fourteen pro-Iran fighters were killed in these air strikes. The US bases in north-east Syria have previously come under attack, and the US has responded with air strikes.
- President Biden authorized these air strikes “in response to… [the drone] attack as well as a series of recent attacks against coalition forces in Syria by groups affiliated with the IRGC (Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps)”.
- The conflict escalated further when rockets targeted another US base, Green Village, in north-eastern Syria. Fortunately, there were no reported injuries from this rocket fire.
- Casualties and Monitoring Group Reports:
- In the Homs military college graduation attack, at least 89 people were killed according to Syria’s health ministry. A UK-based monitoring group reported that the death toll was even higher at 116 people.
- In the US air strikes against Iran-linked groups, six pro-Iran fighters were killed in Deir al-Zour city, six in al-Bukamal, and two in the desert of al-Mayadeen.
These incidents highlight the ongoing conflict and security challenges faced by both Syria and international forces operating in the region.