Green Chillies: Green chillies are a type of spice that is widely used in Indian cuisine and other cuisines around the world. They are unripe versions of the same chilli as red ones, and they have a distinctive taste and texture. Green chillies have many health benefits, such as:
- They have zero calories and can boost your metabolism for up to three hours after eating.
- They are rich in antioxidants, vitamin C, and beta-carotene, which can protect your body from free radicals, cancer, and infections.
- They can improve your cardiovascular health by reducing blood cholesterol, triglyceride levels, and platelet aggregation, as well as increasing fibrinolytic activity, which prevents blood clots.
Also, read Lakshmi Puja Special Sweets
- They can lower your body temperature by stimulating the cooling centre of the hypothalamus in the brain, which explains why they are consumed even in hot climates.
- They can relieve pain, cold, and sinus infections by stimulating blood flow and mucus secretion in the nose and sinuses.
- They can balance your blood sugar levels and prevent diabetes by reducing the insulin response.
- They can enhance your mood and reduce anxiety by releasing endorphins, which are natural painkillers and mood boosters.
- They can prevent iron deficiency and anaemia by providing a natural source of iron.
Green chillies are available fresh, dried, powdered, flaked, in oil, in sauce, bottled, and pickled. They can be used raw, fried, roasted, or added to curries, salsas, stews, and other dishes. You can find some recipes that use green chillies here.
How do I store green chillies?
There are different ways to store green chillies depending on how long you want to keep them fresh. Here are some methods you can try:
- If you want to store green chillies for a few weeks, you can keep them in the fridge in an airtight container with paper towels inside. The paper towels will absorb the excess moisture and prevent the chillies from rotting.
Also, read Dussehra Festival: The Tenth Day of Victory
- If you want to store green chillies for a few months, you can freeze them in a plastic bag or a container. You can either chop them or keep them whole, but make sure they are dry before freezing. You can use them directly from the freezer without thawing.
- If you want to store green chillies for a year or more, you can dry them, pickle them, or can them. To dry them, you can either use natural sunlight or an oven. To pickle them, you can use vinegar or oil as the base. To can them, you can use a pressure cooker or a water bath. These methods will preserve the flavour and texture of the chillies for a long time.
You can find more details and tips on how to store green chillies in these articles and videos. I hope this helps you enjoy your green chillies for longer. 😊