Kolkata East-West Metro: The Kolkata East-West Metro is a rapid transit line of the Kolkata Metro that connects the eastern and western parts of the city. It is also known as the Green Line and has some unique features, such as:
- It has India’s biggest underwater metro tunnel along the Hooghly River, which is 520 meters long and 30 meters deep
- It has the deepest metro station in India, which is Howrah station, at 33 meters below the ground
- It will serve 17 stations, of which 11 are elevated and 6 are underground, covering a total distance of 22 km
Also, read Kali Puja Myths and Facts
- It will link two of the largest railway terminals in India, Howrah and Sealdah, as well as two major business districts, BBD Bagh and Salt Lake Sector V
- It will provide a cleaner and faster mobility solution to lakhs of daily commuters, easing traffic congestion and reducing pollution
The Kolkata East-West Metro Corridor Project is a crucial infrastructure project for the sustainable development of Kolkata and its surrounding urban areas. The project was approved by the Cabinet in 2023 with a revised cost of Rs. 8,575 crore The project is expected to be completed by 2025.
You can see the route map of the Kolkata East-West Metro here: Route Map
Kolkata East-West Metro: When will it Start Functioning?
According to the web search results, the Kolkata East-West Metro will start functioning in phases. The first phase, from Salt Lake Sector V to Sealdah, is already operational since 2020 The second phase, from Howrah Maidan to Esplanade, is expected to be opened to the public by December 2023 The third and final phase, from Esplanade to Sealdah, is likely to start in June 2024 Once the entire stretch of 22 km is completed, the Kolkata East-West Metro will provide a fast and convenient mode of transport for the city’s commuters
What is the frequency of trains?
- Between Monday and Saturday, as well as on other holidays, the metro starts operations at around 6:45 am and runs till 10:00 pm
- On Sundays, the metro starts operations slightly later at around 10:00 am and runs till 10:00 pm
- The frequency of the trains ranges from 5 to 15 minutes, depending on the peak and off-peak hours
- When the East-West Metro starts its under-river run in December 2023, the trains will run every 12 minutes
I hope this information is helpful to you. 😊
What is the fare for Kolkata East-West Metro?
The fare for Kolkata East-West Metro depends on the distance travelled. The minimum fare is Rs 5 for up to 2 km and the maximum fare is Rs 30 for above 20 km You can also use a smart card to get some extra value on your recharge Here is a table that shows the fare chart for the Kolkata East-West Metro line:
|Zone||Distance||Fare in Rs|
|Zone-I||Up to 2 KM||5.00|
|Zone-II||>2 KM to 5 KM||10.00|
|Zone-III||>5 KM to 10 KM||15.00|
|Zone-IV||>10 KM to 20 KM||20.00|
|Zone-V||Above 20 KM||25.00|
You can also see the route map of the Kolkata East-West Metro here: Route Map
Is there any special feature in Kolkata East-West Metro?
Yes, there are some special features in Kolkata East-West Metro that make it unique and innovative. Some of them are:
- It has India’s biggest underwater metro tunnel along the Hooghly River, which is 520 meters long and 30 meters deep. This tunnel will allow passengers to experience a spectacular view of the river and its marine life.
- It has the deepest metro station in India, which is Howrah station, at 33 meters below the ground. This station will have four levels, including a shopping complex and a food court.
- It will use modern and energy-efficient trains, which will have features like automatic train protection, automatic train operation, and regenerative braking. The trains will also have CCTV cameras, fire detection systems, and emergency communication facilities.
- It will have a smart card-based ticketing system, which will enable seamless integration with other modes of transport. The smart cards will also have features like online recharge, balance check, and trip history.
These are some of the special features of the Kolkata East-West Metro that make it a world-class project. I hope you find this information interesting and useful. 😊
How long will it take to travel from Salt Lake Sector V to Sealdah?
According to the web search results, it will take about 21 minutes to travel from Salt Lake Sector V to Sealdah by the Kolkata East-West Metro line The fare for this journey is Rs 20 The trains will run at 10-minute intervals between Sector V and Sealdah stations You can see the route map of the Kolkata East-West Metro here: Route Map