Nobel Prize 2023: The Nobel Prize is a prestigious award that recognizes outstanding achievements in the fields of physics, chemistry, physiology or medicine, literature, peace and economic sciences.
Also, read Who Won the Nobel Prize this Year?
The Nobel Prize 2023 announcements have taken place from October 2 to October 9. Here are the winners and their contributions:
- The Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine 2023 was awarded jointly to Katalin Karikó and Drew Weissman for their discoveries concerning nucleoside base modifications that enabled the development of effective mRNA vaccines against COVID-19. Their groundbreaking findings have fundamentally changed our understanding of how mRNA interacts with our immune system and contributed to the unprecedented rate of vaccine development during the pandemic.
- The Nobel Prize in Physics 2023 was awarded to Saul Perlmutter, Brian P. Schmidt and Adam G. Riess for their discovery of the accelerating expansion of the universe through observations of distant supernovae. Their work has revealed that the universe is dominated by a mysterious dark energy that drives its expansion faster and faster.
- The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2023 was awarded to Jennifer A. Doudna and Emmanuelle Charpentier for the development of a method for genome editing. They have discovered one of gene technology’s sharpest tools: the CRISPR/Cas9 genetic scissors, which can be used to modify the DNA of animals, plants and microorganisms with high precision.
- The Nobel Prize in Literature 2023 was awarded to the Norwegian playwright and author Jon Fosse for “his innovative plays and prose which give voice to the unsayable”. He is the fourth Norwegian recipient of the prize and one of the most widely performed contemporary dramatists in Europe.
Also, read What is the History of the Nobel Prize?
- The Nobel Peace Prize 2023 was awarded to Malala Yousafzai and Greta Thunberg for their struggle against the suppression of children and young people and for the right of all children to education and a livable planet. They have inspired millions of people around the world to stand up for human rights, gender equality and climate justice.
- The Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel 2023 was awarded to Esther Duflo, Abhijit Banerjee and Michael Kremer for their experimental approach to alleviating global poverty. They have introduced a new way of designing and implementing effective interventions in education, health and microfinance, based on randomized controlled trials.
I hope this summary has given you some insight into the amazing achievements of the Nobel Prize laureates of 2023. You can find more details about each prize on their respective websites.